Rural life in the Kathmandu Valley
Ride Away Mountain Biking Tours
RIDE AWAY launched on 6 March 2008 in Pietermaritzburg, South Africa, home to some of the most awesome single track routes in the world and also the venue for the UCI MTB World Cup XC and downhill. We organise mountain bike tours to some of the most beautiful destinations on our planet.
My name is Stephen Forster, and I run tours through Ride Away. I love mountain biking, hiking and trout fishing, Up until recently I was a pretty competitive mountain biker in the Masters category, but with all the training, there was no time to explore. I am married with an 18 year old daughter, Jaime-Lee.
I spent three years working and back packing around Europe and Asia with my wife Nicky. Hitch hiked from Turkey to Norway, worked in London, taught English while running a guest house in Taiwan and then travelled extensively in Asia. Whilst in Nepal in 1992 I decided to start importing clothing and crafts from Nepal and then, having mountain biked all over the Kathmandu Valley and South Africa, decided it would be a great destination for mountain biking.
Having travelled to around 50 countries, if you have a destination in mind, let me know and I'll put something together for you.
Why Ride Away?
We focus on the whole experience, rather than just mountain biking
Mountain biking is our passion and we understand what mountain bikers want.
- Jeep track, flowing single track, country roads, mountain climbs and stunning descents.
- Mind blowing scenery, riding through remote villages and experiencing other cultures.
- We cater for all types of riders, weekend warrior to racing snake and will customise a trip to suit your style.
- We will take you to places on your bucket list..
- We work hand in hand with the best MTB companies and guides in each country.
- Mixing with like minded people with a passion for life and everything it has to offer.
- We give back to the communities whose paths we cross by hiring local guides, sourcing local suppliers, and donating mountain biking and other sports items to needy children such as the shoe shine boys of Thamel, Kathmandu.
To offer exciting mountain biking and cycling adventures to riders in Southern Africa and beyond.
To be the number one mountain bike adventure company in South Africa by offering MTB and cycling trips to remote destinations, locally and abroad that can match or better the wonderful stage races we have here in our country. We simply want to add another dimension to your mountain biking experience.
Ride Away will ensure that you embark on a life changing experience and will return from your adventures inspired, challenged and motivated. Hopefully you will see the world through different eyes with a broader outlook on life having ridden the road less travelled.
If you like to ride a bike and don't want to see the world through the window of a bus. If you want to experience the real soul of a country there is no better way to do it than from a saddle with the wind in your face. Mountain biking gives you the opportunity to interact first hand with locals and absorb the culture. Unusual smells, exotic tastes and breath taking scenery.
Our focus is to build lasting relationships with mountain bikers in South Africa and from around the world. We will have new adventures and add new destinations for our customers each year. Ride Away promises value for money, dedicated guides and first class tours.